Peace and Justice Committee Report
- The Clergy Caucus of PACT has written a statement against Anti-Asian hate. Please read, and if you feel inclined, sign the statement in support of the AAPI community: tinyurl.com/pactaapistatement. There was an action on August 7 at 10am downtown San Jose, with prayers, a rally and a march to support our Asian American Pacific Islander community. Pastor Salying spoke at the event. The video of the event is available at: https://fb.me/e/2rNSPoOLL
- Local Fair Redistricting: Everyone of us lives in a place where redistricting will happen this year. Redistricting is important to make sure that gerrymandering does not occur. Gerrymandering occurs when “communities of interest” are divided by the district maps. Not all cities have districts for their City Council. But all counties have districts for electing supervisors. Find out how to support local redistricting by contacting your city or county websites.
- Santa Clara City Council Redistricting Contact the City Clerk’s Office at (408) 615-2220 or email email@example.com.
- San Jose City Council Redistricting https://www.sanjoseca.gov/your-government/appointees/city-clerk/redistricting-2020
- Santa Cruz City Council Redistricting https://www.cityofsantacruz.com/government/city-departments/city-manager/transition-to-district-elections
- Sunnyvale City Council Redistricting: Sunnyvale.ca.gov/redistricting
- Mountain View, Cupertino, and Milpitas do not have districts because they are not large enough.
- Santa Clara County https://countyexec.sccgov.org/2021-redistricting-process
- Santa Cruz County https://countyexec.sccgov.org/2021-redistricting-process
- PACT (People Acting in Community Together): We had an in person outdoor meeting with our PACT organizer Ruby Ramirez and members of Sunnyvale PACT. Three churches were represented. We enjoyed getting reacquainted after a long hiatus and plan to meet again soon to discuss next steps. We will be looking at getting out the vote for the important recall election on September 14. Every voter will get a ballot in the mail. Please mail in your ballots when you receive them. We will also look at how we can support the AAPI community.
If you would like further information, please contact Cal Cornwell.